Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Sewing Saga

I started sewing when Cori was 2 1/2. I wanted to make her fun print dresses and outfits. I also thought that I needed a new hobby because a 6 month old, a 2 year old and working was not enought for me. So my mom taught me how to read a pattern and thread my bobbin and I was off on my sewing adventure. I bought a new sewing machine after about a week of using my moms. I wanted to make sure I liked the whole sewing thing before I bought my own machine. (which Nate immediatly wanted to take apart to see how it works - he didnt) I made all kinds of outfits with funky patterns, even made the dress Cori wore in my brothers wedding.

After all the sewing of clothes, I needed a bigger challange. Cori was getting tired of my "hand-made" clothes and everyone kept having boys so there were no cute little girls to make clothes for. So I started branching out into quilts and blankets. I Love To Quilt. It is more fun than sewing clothes but it takes longer. I made quilts for just about everyone in the family. I have not done any sewing in about 6 months. I have been so busy with planning to move, moving and getting life going in CA that sewing has not been on my mind. So right now the sewing machine is packed away waiting for me to have the "time" to sew again.

Then I had my mom teach me how to knit. I have been working on a couple of blankets and scarves. I love the convienence of knitting. I can take it with me to people's house and I can knitt while we talk and socialize. I can also knit in the living room while watching tv and Nate does not get mad.

All of this background to tell you I have NEVER hemmed a pair of pants. I always used the sewing machine. I made little kids clothes and they dont care about the "proper hem." Nate came home from work with the hem ripped out of one of his pants leg. So I got the needle and thread and took a shot at correctly hemming his pants. I DID IT! I did a decent job for my first hem and he was very grateful.


This one I made for my sister-in-law, Carrie.


This is the one I made for my Mother-In-Law, for the guest bedroom.
This is the one I made for my Mom. She loves Blue.

This is a baby blanket I made for a friend.

This one I made for my sister, Christie.

This is another baby blanket, for my friend Allyson.
This is by far my favorite and my hardest to make. It is one I am going to hang on a wall someday.
The pieces are from 1in. to 1/4 in. in size. This took some serious sewing to accomplish.
I have a pattern for do another one simular to this and can't wait to find the time and money to make it. Fabric is not cheap, in case you were wondering.

1 comment:

Crazy Eights said...

Where is the picture of the one you made for your BFF Bekah? Hmmmm....??? :~) Love you! I hope you are having a great week!

Bek