Friday, June 10, 2011

Back to the Sewing Machine

My friend Ilia has started writing a blog about how to be awesome at everything. Reading about all her new awesomeness has encouraged me to get back into sewing, that and the fact that I am done with school and have more time for sewing. Check out her blog about sewing awesomeness  Awesome Sewing


Today, I dug out the sewing machine from the back of my closet, dusted and cleaned it off, oiled it and got it ready for the day of sewing. (well a couple of hours of sewing). I pulled out my big tool box of sewing tools (scissors, elastic, pins, bobbins, buttons, ribbons, biase tape, needles and more), my box of threads, my box of patterns and extra fabric. It has been almost 2 years since I have done a sewing project. Once I started school full time, there was not any extra time for a day or week of sewing. This is also because I can't just sew for an hour, I take on a project and have to get it done right away. 


After picking out a couple of patterns and noticing how low my supply of fabric was, off to JoAnn's Fabrics I went. This is the only fabric store in the area, and I have to drive 30 min across Huntington to get there. Once I walked into the store, a giant sign "CASH ONLY" stared back at me. What? I don't have cash on me for fabrics. I know I am a server and should always have cash and I do, just not enough to shop for fabric. (which I can rack up real fast). Off to Target to get "cash back" then back to the fabric store. Now Cori has been with me this whole time and I am driving her crazy and she is BORED! 


I picked out a new pattern, lots of new fabric and then Cori found some fabric....Ahhhh! She wants some pj's out of this flip-flop material and cupcake material. Back to the patterns for her size. Then to check out. 


Finally home, I start to organize, cut out fabric and sew. This is the first time working in my little living room. Not use to having to stay on a table to cut or not be able to spread out. But I managed to only take over half the house with my project. 
Fabrics and patterns matched together on the table
I was able to cut out and finish Cori's pj shorts. Cut out and partially sew a dress for my new niece... would have finished but forgot to buy a zipper and biase tape for the dress. Guess I am going back to the fabric store again. At lease Wal-Mart carries these products and I don't have to drive around town. 
P J shorts

Modeling with out actually wearing the clothes
I have material and patterns for about 4 more outfits for kids and Cori. We will see how much I can get done in the next few weeks. I will keep you posted on my progress. I am SO glad to be back in the sewing grove...I think!

2 comments:

Ilia Grubbs said...

Wow, I'm super impressed that you can make clothes! Do you use patterns or do you just wing it? The pj's are adorable! :o)

Unknown said...

Thanks Ilia. I definatly use a pattern but I have learned how to resize and adjust the pattern to my style. I started seeing with little dresses and pants for Cori when she was a toddler, then moved to quilting.